When Rihanna says to "shine bright like a diamond', I wonder if she meant our oily skin.
Not to fret. Oily skin is common! In fact, your skin naturally produces oil called sebum from the sebaceous gland underneath your pores. Your skin makes this oil because it needs it! It's perfectly natural & healthy!
However, there are times when your skin's levels may be imbalanced & your skin makes more than what we need. What does this mean?
I'm a firm believer in listening to your skin. And trust me, she is always talking to you. If your skin is making more sebum than usual, that means its hydration levels are low, so it's asking for a quench of water! Your skin might be working overtime to hydrate itself, & your glands know how to make the only thing it knows how: oil. And we know that dehydrated skin & an excess of oil can mean your skin is more likely to result in breakouts (eep!) The perfect way to tackle this is to cleanse only at night & moisturize twice a day with healthy, oil-free products.
So give your skin a tall, refreshing glass of hydration with products that will balance your skin back.
1. Farmacy Natural Makeup Remover // I'm always going to advise my clients to stay away from makeup wipes. Why? Because they're harsh & irritating toward your skin. But this doesn't mean you can skip the part where you need to remove your makeup! This Green Clean Balm melts away your makeup (even stubborn waterproof mascara!). It warms into an oil as you massage it into your skin, gently dissolving makeup. I personally love this on heavier makeup days because a little goes SUCH a long way, & it's safe around my eye area, even when I have my contacts in. Plus, this product is made from naturally derived ingredients, & free from formaldehyde and artificial coloring. Oh yeah, it's an Allure Best of Beauty award winner btw. Great for all skin types, & safe for sensitive skin. Use PM or an as-needed makeup removal.
2. Drunk Elephant Beste No.9 Jelly Cleanser // Okay, so it's the end of the day, your skin feels dirty, greasy, & straight up gross. You're ready to clean your skin, but you don't want a cleanser that dries you out. Reach out for this cleanser! The name says it all, the gentle jelly-like texture is great at removing dirt, grime, & leftover traces of makeup. The formula is ph balanced, non-irritating, non-sensitizing. This means you get a deep, gentle cleanse that doesn't leave your skin feeling tight or dry afterward. It's perfect to get your skin back to balance & removing unwanted oil! Great for oily skin, plus all skin types. Use PM.
3. CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser // This is another great product I had to throw in because CeraVe sticks to make their products paraben-free, fragrance-free, soap-free, non-comedogenic, non-drying, and non-irritating. This non-foaming formula is so gentle at removing excess oil while hydrating your skin. I still recommend cleaning your makeup off first before using this cleanser to ensure there are no leftover makeup traces hidden in your pores. Great for oily/dry skin. Use PM.
4. Tatcha The Water Cream // Remember when I said your skin can make excess oil when it's dehydrated? Well next we need to make sure we're moisturizing your skin, but we can use a formula that's oil-free & can clarify the skin. I love the way this feels on my skin because it's ultra-lightweight & made from skin-improving Japanese nutrients. powerful botanicals. And if this moisturizer isn't fancy enough, it has a touch of 23-karat gold. Great for oily skin. Use AM/PM.
5. Belief The True Cream Aqua Bomb // If you're not ready to commit to a high-end brand quite yet, this moisturizer will still feel great, hydrate well, & smooth the skin at a great price point. This formula is lightweight, refreshing, & oil-free, giving you an all-over smooth feel without a greasy residue. Great for oily skin. Use AM/PM.
6. CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 // This is always a great go-to. This product is also oil-free & absorbs quickly into the skin. This moisturizer is also great at protecting your skin's hydration because it's packed with three essential ceramides that help restore your skin barrier. Plus, the sunscreen-infused formula saves you an extra step if you're in a rush! Great for oily skin. Use AM.
7. Origins Ginzing Refreshing Eye Cream // Brighten your eyes with an all-natural eye cream that works great on dark circles. This product is infused with caffeine, meaning it's brightening & helps to depuff! Plus, this is a makeup artist's favorite because it primes the eye area for concealer for long-lasting, smooth wear. Great for all skin types. Use AM.
8. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 or Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Water Sun Gel // The number one reason why I hear a lot of clients skip their sunscreen step is because "it feels greasy on my oily skin". This does not mean you can leave your skin unprotected from UV rays! That can be harmful to your skin & cause early signs of aging. You don't want to reverse all the hard work you've put in. This formula is from one of my favorite brands Supergoop! I love this formula because it's weightless, invisible, fragrance-free, & you know it: oil-free. Plus, I love that the invisible formula was made for all skin tones! And if you're like me & love two-in-one products to save money, this sunscreen works as a primer for under your makeup, smoothing texture & pores! If you prefer a formula that feels like a drink of water, this water gel from Isntree is perfect & will hydrate your skin, while giving you that satin-like finish. It has a soothing, lightweight texture & I love that it's at a great price point on Amazon. Great for oily skin. Use AM.
Links for our recommended products are below.
Hey sister! We love creating free content for you & we're beyond blessed that we have this opportunity to serve you on your beauty journey. Making a purchase through our affiliate links may earn GS Soeur Beaute a small commission & helps us to create & share more enlightening content.
Thank you for your continued love & support!